Wednesday, February 1, 2012

LOVE IS MURDER--or is it?

This week I will travel to the Love is Murder conference in Chicago. This conference is held every year and I have known about it for at least a couple of years. It is held on Feb. 2-5 this year and yes the super bowl is being played, but there are televisions there.
This year I finally decided, you know; I'm going and boy am I glad that I decided that. As soon as my registration was paid for I received a phone call from one of the organizers, Hanley (and yes,her name is as unique as mine)and she was so bubbly. Imagine my shock when she asked me to be on a panel and possibly a moderator. Now here is the sad part. Hanley said, "you know we are not that well attended by the African American writers". What? Are you serious? I know there are THOUSANDS of us out here and yet this conference, has literally a handful, yes her words, of African American authors attending.
Well, I will do my best to change that. I know there are some great mystery writers, romance writers and thriller writers that are African American; why aren't you attending. Is it because you think because you can't, or do you limit yourself to genre specific events. Let me tell you, she will always see my face from now on. During the first week in February, you can believe I will be in Chicago, rubbing elbows with publicists, NY best selling authors and the best that the publishing industry has to offer. How many of you will be there next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment