Monday, February 20, 2017

GOING TINY AND BEING AN AUTHOR...AM I CRAZY?

Many people don't understand my love with going tiny.

I'll try and explain it to you.

First, 2016 was a very interesting year. On top of medical issues that would have sidelined most people; I was able to continue to work, write and enjoy life. (It wasn't easy but I refused to give in to the illness)

In the latter part of 2016, I came to the conclusion that I don't need lots of 'stuff' to make me happy. Sure, I still need shoes, but other than that, I'm happiest when I'm in my little reading 'closet".  I took a 2x4 closet and turned it into my reading/writing nook and found that when I was in there; I was at peace and could block out all of the negative around me.

I have been fascinated by tiny homes since 2015 and began to look more closely at them in 2016. I figured I could at least do the research and find out why people choose this way of living. 

That search ended in 2016, November 12 at 5:15 am, on my way to work. I SAW a tiny house being pulled by a truck and said..wow; that looks like me. I can see myself living there. I called my partner and told him. His words were, "wow; you sound like a kid at Christmas" and I said, "I feel like I am".

I went to work and researched that company. Later that day, I needed to go to the mall and that same company was in the mall handing out brochures about their company. That was a sign to me. Actually the second sign that I needed to be in this kind of home. The third sign came when I went to Virginia to see +TinyHomesVA in Fredricksburg, Virginia. Jessica was so helpful and knowledgeable and at that moment,  it was decided. 

I am getting a tiny home.

So the search began for a builder and about a month ago I found Incredible Tiny Homes in Morristown, Tennessee. They can build my tiny but then they introduced, "Build Your Own" university. The requirements: You must dedicate seven (7) days to be at their warehouse and you must have at least four (4) build buddies and they will help you build your own. They have already had two workshops and 13 homes have been built and are now in their owners home states. Last week you read about my love affair with Regina's tiny home. I always wanted the size that she built and after seeing hers I know I made the right choice. 

Going tiny means many things to many people. To a lot of them it means economic freedom and to others it means leaving a smaller environmental footprint. To me, it means being able to be comfortable in my own space. It means, living better and freer with less bills. It means being able to travel more and it means to finally be able to write more. Being creative in a small space is such a blessing that I couldn't see myself NOT living tiny.

I know some of you won't or don't want to live tiny but for me, it's the only option for me.

For me, its about loving life and living life to the fullest and being in a tiny home is what is going to make it all worthwhile.

So continue to read about my journey here. And just so you know. The creative process is in full swing. I have just started working on another murder/drama novel and this one will prove that love doesn't conquer all.

No comments:

Post a Comment