Wednesday, February 13, 2013

When will I see you?

Last night I had the opportunity to attend a meet and greet held at Howard University book store, THE HUB.
Tamika Newhouse, CEO of Delphine Publications and two of her authors were in attendance and we learned about how she splits her time being an author and also being the owner of a publishing company.
Sadly, there were only six other people there. Most authors think that they do not need to go out to meet and greets. But I ask you this, if you don't get out there and meet new people, how do you think you are going to find fans?
The one thing I can say is that for me, meet and greets are the perfect opportunity to network with other authors and to share ideas.
Where do you think I get some of the ideas that I have?
Why do you think I started going to conferences?
Why do you think I spend as much time as I do on Facebook and LinkedIn and Twitter; well it's becaues I am going to meet and greets and learning from the best.
Tamika is the owner of a small press. However I have also gone to meet and greets with agents from New York, California and Florida. Again, why do I go? Because I know to be good at what I do, I need to learn from the best. So tell me again, why you don't go to meet and greets. Hopefully the next time one is in DC, Maryland or Virginia; I'll see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment