Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Speaking in public

Have you ever been asked to speak in public about your writing or about your novels? What is your first thought when this happens?

Do you ask yourself, why are they asking me, I"m not famous, yet. Or do you say..well I don't have anything to say.

Well if you said yes to one of those questions; shame on you. You might not be famous;(yet), but you are famous in your own right. After all, you are a published or about to be published, author.

You should welcome all opportunities to talk about yourself to other, and if it happens to be a crowd of people, than that is GREAT!

Look at it as a way to brand yourself to others. Make them WANT to buy your book or listen to your story. You never know what might happen. Let's see, for me; it happened at the Black Family Reunion held down on the National Mall in Washington DC. I spoke to a crowd of about 50 people and afterwards, my book sales soared. Now, I didn't do it for the sales, although that was a plus. I did it because I want everyone to follow that dream that they thought was impossible to acheive. I want every man/woman and child to reach their highest potential and never say to themselves in 20 years, "I wish I would have done..." That is the hardest part. If you have a dream, never and I repeat NEVER, let anyone stop you from achieving it.

So with that said, today my message to you is a simple one: Go after what you want in life. Don't sit back and wait for someone's approval. If it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone; then you should do it. Now, pull out that pencil/pen and notebook or laptop and get to writing, because that is what I am about to do.

Happy Writing!

1 comment:

  1. Very good advice for everyone, not just authors! I love the blog, but I'm more anxious to read that next book so DO hit that keyboard, Stiletto Queen!

    ReplyDelete